Editor's note: The following is a point-by-point response to CityBeat's Jan. 28 editorial, which was a list of 36 things for Barack Obama to do while president.1. I know Canadians who have sought care in the U.S., not the other way around. Single-payer is hugely expensive and a job- and economy-killer. Want to pay an extra $400 a month for a single-payer system? DMV healthcare.
4. Substance abuse and addiction is the root cause of homelessness and schizophrenia. Rehab camps might work, but giving them housing would only subsidize their state, not correct it.
6. Raising the gas tax and letting free enterprise solve the problem is much more sensible—the government is best at waste.
8. Marijuana causes schizophrenia! Also, it causes lung damage and is a starter drug, which leads to substance abuse, addiction and homelessness!
14. This country was founded on Christian principles, Thank God! The Supreme Court has defended the traditional use of prayer, etc., because they are traditions. You would replace that with a Nazi-like, book-burning vigilance against our traditions. No thanks!
18. Typical of your over simplification of world affairs. They negotiated with Hitler (Chamberlain); the result was he got the time he needed to prepare for WWII. It did not prevent it, but made it worse.
20. I object to your blanket use of the word “torture.” Loud rock 'n' roll music, torture? Reading the comically ignorant, communist articles in CityBeat, torture? Yes!
24. Instead of orderly immigration, flood the U.S. with the world's poor and criminals that nations would deliver to us for care. China would probably give us 700 million alone. Do you have room for three Chinese, two Indians, two Africans and one Central American in your place? No? Then we'll need to tax you an extra $4,000 a month to take care of them. Turn the U.S. into a bankrupt, third-world welfare state. Good idea!
28. What was the last drug the government developed? Let the Pharma companies alone—they are the ones who can, and are curing diseases.
36. As long as the cows are grass-fed, your best idea!
Craig Thompson,North Park
Nation of pussies
Your Obama to-do list [“Editorial,” Jan. 28] was terrific, except for one extremely important, unmentioned item necessary for funding most of it: Slash war spending.
Decades of fear-mongering by both Repubs and Dems has duped Americans into wasting more on “defense” than the next 15 to 20 nations (including many allies) combined. What's to fear? The Red Army invading? China launching missiles? Sword-wielding Al Qaeda horsemen taking our freedom? Wake up, people! Americans—especially tough-talking conservatives—are afraid of goddamn everything. A nation of unequivocal pussies. And that's exactly what the military-political-corporate complex wants. Why? Because fear has made them bloody rich. The Department of Defense should be renamed the Department of Fear and War Profiteering.
Until taxpayers understand they're being cowed and screwed by these flag-waving bloodsuckers (Halliburton, Blackwater and Duke Cunningham are the tip of the iceberg), little will change. We can militarily defend ourselves with 25 percent (maybe less) of the current Pentagon budget. That'd unleash billions yearly for that to-do list of healthcare, education, infrastructure, energy, etc. Here's how the budget should be framed: You want universal healthcare or a missile-defense system that thousands of scientists and military experts have ridiculed as a complete waste? Free college education or a new generation of nuclear attack submarines to defend us from, uh, hell, Greenpeace? More mass transit or thousands more stealth cruise missiles for throwing at pesky Muslim radicals in the Pakistani mountains? You get the idea.
Please, start the next to-do list here: Slash war spending. And let's convince the 'fraidy-cats to start living without fear.Lawrence Carr,University Heights