Eric Wolff had an interresting story about building a new City Hall [“The Front Lines,” June 17], and here's some more facts little known to the public:
Developer Gerding Edlen pulled out all the stops by hiring Jack Monger and Adrian Kwiatkowski to lobby City Hall for a new Civic Center Complex. The Monger Co.'s latest lobbyist report has an impressive list of polticians lobbied: CCDC President Fred Maas, CCDC Vice President Jeff Graham, City Councilmembers Lightner, Faulconer, Hueso and Gloria, council staff from Districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8 and a policy advisor to the mayor, Phil Rath.
In February, the Monger Co. hosted fundraisers for Marti Emerald and Todd Gloria.
A crucial vote is forthcoming.
Mel Shapiro,University Heights
Afghanistan, not Iraq
In your “Patriot Music” column [“Sordid Tales,” July 8], you wrote: “‘Have you Forgotten?' by Darryl Worley (Exclude): The lyrics are an attempt to validate the Iraq war: ‘Have you forgotten / When those towers fell?'”Actually, the song was inspired by the war with Afghanistan, the people who attacked us, not the war with Iraq. If you listen, Darryl explains it perfectly at about the 2:15 mark.
Laurie Collins,Baltimore, Md.
More spoiler suckage
About your column expressing disdain for spoilers [“Backwards & in High Heels, July 8]: In the '90s, the Chicago Bulls played the Portland Trailblazers for the NBA championship. My work schedule prevented me from watching the series of games live, so I had to record the games on my VCR (the device of that time). No matter how much I begged people to not tell me the results of any game, there was always someone who wanted me to know each game Chicago won. I was able to enjoy (with a degree of suspense) the two games Portland won.
Your case is different, in that the spoiler guy was actually trying to impress you. All guys have different methods, but we all will put our feet in our mouth over a woman, saying some of the worst things that an imagination could muster.Spoilers do suck. The only legal method that I could come up with is to expect the spoiled suspense and look for other drama in the event to enjoy, because waking up at 3 a.m. could even test your resolve.
Good luck with this dilemma
8 percent? Big deal
One of the glaring issues I have with your editorial about healthcare reform [July 1] is the number 50 million used to identify the people who “have no access to care.” That's absurd. Of the 43 million uninsured (the number from the Obama site), 9 million are young people who would rather buy iPhones than healthcare and nearly 10 million are illegal aliens (that is why Obama has stopped saying “Americans”; now he just says “people.”) If you take them out, you are going to spend $3 trillion to help less than 8 percent of the nation when the other 92 percent are fine with what we have?